Early St. Louis


The Liggett & Myer Tobacco Company

The Liggett & Myer Tobacco Company, producers of what we would come to know as L&M brand of cigarettes, was a business whose roots extend to Christopher Foulks who moved his family to Belleville, Illinois after the British soldiers had burned down his snuff mill in New Jersey. He later moved to St. Louis where he opened a tobacco shop. 

In about 1820 his daughter, Elizabeth Foulks, married Joseph Liggett. who had been born 20 Feb 1798 and they were the parents of at least Mortimer, John Edmund, and William Carr Lane Liggett.

After Joseph's death on 12 Apr 1829, Elizabeth married Hiram H. Shaw. Their marriage took place in St. Louis on 16 Nov 1830. They were enumerated in the 1850 & 1860 census records residing in that city and their household included Elizabeth's son, John Edmund Liggett, and his family. 

At the age of eighteen, John entered the employ of Foulks & Shaw tobacco manufacturers, the members of the firm being his maternal grandfather (Christopher Foulks) and stepfather (Hiram Shaw). John then became a partner of the firm known as Hiram Shaw & Co. A year and a half later his brother Willian Carr Lane "W.C.L." Liggett purchased Shaw's interest, and the name was changed to J.E. Liggett & Bro. to reflect the change as it is shown here in the 1850 St. Louis Directory.

W.C.L. Liggett sold his interest to Henry Dausman and for eighteen years it was known as Liggett & Dausman. In 1873, George S. Myers purchased Dausman's interest and the business was then known as Liggett & Myers which was incorporated as Liggett & Myer Tobacco Manufacturing Company in 1878, and for many years thereafter.

John Edmund Liggett died in St. Louis on 23 Nov 1897, his widow Elizabeth Jane (Calbreath) whom he married 21 Dec 1851, died in St. Louis on 07 May 1909.

Note:  See also my PDP's Roots and Branches blog, "Margaret Pilcher - Wife of Hiram Shaw, Lexington Hatter"

  1. 1850 St. Louis City Directory
  2. Cemetery Records of Bellefontaine, St. Louis, Missouri
  3. Encyclopedia of the History of St. Louis, Edited by William Hyde & Howard L. Conrad; Southern History Co., NY; 1899
  4. Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri Vol. VI by Howard L. Conrad; The Southern History Co., NY; 1901
  5. Index to Death Records in the City of St. Louis, 1850-1908. St. Louis, MO, USA: St. Louis Genealogical Society, 1999.
  6. Missouri, Marriages, 1750-1920," index, FamilySearch: Hiram H. Shaw and Elizabeth Leggett, 16 Nov 1830; citing Saint Louis,St Louis,Missouri; FHL microfilm 469,561.
  7. United States Census, 1850 index and images, FamilySearch: Hiram Shaw, St. Louis, ward 2, St. Louis, Missouri, United States; citing family 998, NARA microfilm publication M432, NARA microfilm publication M432, National Archives and Records Administration, Washington, D.C.
  8. United States Census, 1860," index, FamilySearch: Hiram Shaw, 4th Ward City Of St Louis, St. Louis, Missouri, United States; from "1860 U.S. Federal Census - Population," Fold3.com; p. 242, household ID 1717, NARA microfilm publication M653; NARA microfilm publication M653. National Archives and Records Administration, Washington, D.C.; FHL microfilm 803,649.